Diversity Survey Evaluation
Harkia Accountants Ltd has conducted a diversity survey, the purpose being to gather evidence to encourage a strong, independent, and diverse workforce.
In 2022 50% of the staff members were female, and 50% were male.
Fees to undertaking probate services are typically quoted and charged on a fixed fee basis. However, fees for dealing with an estate tend to vary depending on the estate’s complexity.
There are very ifs and buts that may affect the fees. Some are as follows;
- Whether there is a surviving spouse or civil partner
- If there is a Will and its whereabouts are unknown
- Are there any executors to the Will, and if so, how many are there
- If the deceased granted a power of attorney to anyone
- If anyone was financially supported by the deceased at the time of their death
- How many beneficiaries are there
- The type and number of any bank or building society accounts
- Whether there are any private pension arrangements
- Whether there are any securities such as gifts, bonds or unit trusts
- If there are any assets held offshore
- The value of any property and its occupation
- Whether the estate is taxable
- The value of any gifts given within seven years before the death of the deceased
- If separate probate will be required to administer assets held overseas in a foreign jurisdiction
Our fees for administering the estate of a deceased and assisting with probate are in the region of £1,500 plus VAT to £25,000 plus VAT.
Our probate team members’ hourly rates are as follows:
- Probate Partner: £400 plus VAT
- Practice Manager: £225 plus VAT
- Tax Assistant: £110 plus VAT
We have three types of Probate Services
- Option A Full Service
Under this option, we will provide the full service from start to finish, including registering the death and distributing the assets to the beneficiaries.
- Registering the death
- Locating the copy of the Will
- Identifying the beneficiaries under the Will or intestacy
- Obtaining the details of the deceased assets and liabilities
- Identifying any gifts made by the deceased in the last seven years
- Preparation and submission of the Inheritance Tax return and settling any liability due.
- Applying for the Grant of Probate where there is a valid Will or Letters of Administration in the absence of a Will.
- Finalisation of the deceased’s personal tax affairs up to the date of death, including the submission of any outstanding self-assessment tax returns.
- Calculate any income tax or capital gains tax liabilities due for the administration period.
- Preparing estate accounts and providing copies to beneficiaries.
- Making distributions to beneficiaries.
- Option B Partial service
Under this option, we will provide the services which you want us to do. If you like us to do;
- Preparing and submission of IHT forms, or
- Getting a grant of probate, or
- Finalisation of the deceased’s personal tax affairs up to the date of death, including the submission of any outstanding self-assessment tax returns
ICAEW Compensation Fund
Our regulator, the ICAEW, has established a Probate Compensation Scheme to accord with the requirements of the Legal Services Act 2007.
Harkia Chartered Accountants pay an annual levy to ICAEW to assist in funding this scheme.
The scheme is intended to compensate individuals and SMEs for loss suffered as a consequence of:
- fraud or other dishonesty by the accredited probate firm in conducting authorised work (ie, probate and estate administration); or
- a failure by the accredited probate firm to account for monies received in the course of authorised work.
Complaints in Relation to Probate Clients
We aim to provide a high-quality service at all times. Therefore, if you would like to discuss how our service could be improved or if you are dissatisfied with the service you are receiving, please let us know by contacting Hussain Hammad.
If you are unhappy with anything, you must inform us by telephone or email. Most of our complaints are handled at this stage. However, if you are still dissatisfied and your complaint isn’t resolved, you must write or email us formally addressing it to Mr Hussain Hammad. Mr Hammad will thoroughly review your matter and complaint. Mr Hammad will respond to your complaint within 20 working days after it is sent to Mr Hammad.
We undertake to look into any complaint carefully and promptly and to do all we can to explain the position to you. However, if we do not answer your complaint to your satisfaction, you may take up the matter with ICAEW, our regulator and their complaint process is explained on their website at www.icaew.com or to the Legal Ombudsman.
Harkia Accountants Ltd is authorised and regulated to provide Probate services by the ICAEW, and Harkia Accountants Ltd holds an appropriate Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII) for probate services. Details of PII will be provided on request.